Serves 6 to 8
Cauliflower Crust: 1 head cauliflower Nonstick cooking spray 1 large egg ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme ¼ teaspoon garlic powder Pinch of salt Filling: 6 large eggs ½ cup heavy cream ½ cup grated Gruyère or cheddar cheese (Gruyère is creamier but a bit sharper) ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese Pinch of salt Pinch of freshly ground black pepper Pinch of cayenne pepper Pinch of ground nutmeg 1 cup chopped broccoli florets ¾ cup thinly sliced white mushrooms ½ cup finely diced yellow onion 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled, or ½ cup chopped ham (optional)
- Make the cauliflower crust: Cut the cauliflower into large chunks, then either grate each by hand to rice the cauliflower or pulse in a food processor until a granulated texture is achieved.
- Microwave the cauliflower in a covered dish until cooked, about 8 minutes, then uncover and allow it cool for several minutes. When it’s cool enough to handle, place the cauliflower in a double layer of cheesecloth or a clean dishtowel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Set aside in an uncovered bowl to dry for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line the bottom of an 8- to 10-inch pie plate with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit. Spray the sides of the pie plate and the parchment lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together the egg, Parmesan, mozzarella, thyme, garlic powder, and salt. Stir in the cauliflower.
- Evenly spread and press the cauliflower crust “dough” onto the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate, poking it in a few places toward the middle with a fork to help prevent bubbling (you may need to do this once or twice while it bakes as well, if it starts to puff up in the middle).
- Bake the crust until golden and set, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside. Lower the oven temperature to350°F.7. Make the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, Gruyère, Parmesan, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg. Stir in the broccoli, mushrooms, and onion. Stir in the bacon, if desired.
- Pour the egg-vegetable mixture into the cauliflower crust. Bake until the egg is set in the middle, 25 to 30 minutes. Slice into wedges and enjoy.