Coconut Chicken Curry Soup
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, minced (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons curry powder, or 1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 garlic clove, pressed
4 chicken breasts (about 1½ pounds), very thinly sliced
4 cups chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can light coconut milk
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
2 green onions, thinly sliced into rings
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup chopped fresh peanuts, for garnish (optional)
- In a stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it
softens but does not brown, reducing the heat if necessary, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry and garlic, then add the chicken and cook lightly, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, coconut milk, lime juice, brown sugar, and turmeric and bring to a boil, allowing the chicken to cook further, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper and mushrooms and simmer until the vegetables are cooked, 2 to 3minutes more. Season with salt.
- Ladle into bowls and top with green onions, cilantro, and chopped peanuts, if desired. Garnish with a slice of lime on the side.
Want all of my recipes to yourself in one place?
Grab a copy of At Home with Natalie and they’ll be yours for life.